Kolkata (formerly known as Calcutta) is popularly called the City of Joy, is famous for its culture, tradition, and art. It is the city which is known for its Raj era buildings, monuments, and its historical existence. Kolkata enjoys a mixed culture where you find people all over the world. The most popular language that is spoken here is Bengali, Hindi, and Urdu. If you are planning for something new and charming with a Raj era flavor, Kolkata is the best place to visits. Here are the lists of 10 places to visits in Kolkata that make Kolkata more specials in the eye of the visitors.
1. New Market (Shopping and Refreshment place): Starting from the middle of Kolkata, the New Market (nearest more Landmark like Esplanade, Curzon Park, Saheed Minar, etc) is the place where all types of shops and business are seen. Here you will find Multiplex, Shopping Malls, Restaurants, Shops on pavements, and of course lots of crowds who are willing to buy or came to chill them there. This market was built by the British in 1874 and there you count 2000 plus shops or stalls where you find all the amazing things one can imagine to buy from there.
Address of New Market: Nellini Sarani D-23, New Market Area, Dharmatala, Taltala, Kolkata, West Bengal 700087, India
Location of New Market: Lindsay Street and Chowringhee Road.
Timings: Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. Saturday, until 2.30 p.m. Full Closed on Sunday.
2. Howrah Bridge (Historical and Connectivity place): The famous Rabindra Setu (named after famous Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore) is also known as Howrah Bridge due to its location as it is located in Howrah region. This historical bridge was open for the public in 1943, which is the common and most important bridge that connects Howrah region to the rest of Kolkata. The bridge is standing on the river Hooghly and it is known for its busiest nature. The bridge witnessed 150, 000 vehicles and 4,000,000 pedestrians on a daily basis.
Address: Howrah region, West Bengal, Pin Code- 700 001
How to go there/ Nearest Landmark: Howrah Railway Station
Timings: Opens 24X7, it will look most beautiful in the morning and in the evening
3. Park Street (Historical and Business and Offices place): Park Street, the posh and the prime location of Kolkata (formerly known as Mother Teresa Sarani) where all big Companies and their offices are located, is another place to must watch when you visit it. Here you can find a restaurant, entertainment, old colonial mansions, private and government offices, hotels, residential houses, schools, banks, etc. Its location is close to the famous Maidan, Rabindra Sadan, Camac Street, Birla Planetarium, and of course New Market as these are closely located in the same area.
Address: Park Street, 2 mins walk from Park Street Metro Station
Location: From Chowranghee Road to Park Circus
Timings: Visits it from Morning to Night 10 pm, most important – a huge celebration was organized every year on the eve of Christmas and New Year when everybody joins to mark the celebration.
4. Kali Ghat Temple ( Religious place): The famous Kali Temple situated in the KaliGhat area. The temple is the place where the devotees of Kali go and perform their pujas. It is said that goddess Kali loves sacrifice or Bali that why till now Bali of goats is given by temple priests who will charge you a heavy amount for puja as well as for Bali also. Kalighat is also famous for many reasons such as it is the place where the current Chief Minister of West Bengal Mamta Banerjee lives here. This area is also famous for its historical places such as you will witness Bagha Jatin Park, Ashutosh College, Jogomaya Devi College, etc.
Address: Anami Sangha, Kalighat, Kolkata, West Bengal, Pin Code 700 026
Location: Kali Mandir, 5 mins walk from Kalighat Metro Station, South Kolkata or near Rash Behari Avenue
Timings: Everyday From 5 am to 2 pm and from 4 pm to 10 pm
5. Victoria Memorial (Historical place):, The Victoria Memorial is situated beside the racecourse of Kolkata. The monument is completed in 1921 and named after the Queen Victoria of United Kingdom. It is currently served as a museum. It is among the topmost
10 places to visits in Kolkata. You will be surprised to see the books, wardrobe, paintings of Britisher from the day of their coming in India to the day of their returning back to England. It is the details version and tells you the way about their 300 years of rule of the Raj era.
Address: Victoria Memorial Hall, 1, Queens Way, Maidan, Kolkata, West Bengal, Pin Code 700 071
Location: Beside Racecourse, Maidan, Maidan Metro Station, and Rabindra Sadan
Ticketing: Ticketing for Indian- Rs. 30/-, for Foreigners- Rs. 500/- only
Timings: Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm. Monday Full Day Closed.
6. Saint Paul Cathedral (Religious Place): Saint Paul Cathedral- the of Indo Gothic designed Cathedral is situated just beside of Birla Planetarium and closes to Victoria Memorial. Located on the southern end of Kolkata Maidan, the church took 8 years to build and was fully completed in the year 1847. It was the first Episcopal Church of the Orient.
Address: Cathedral Rd, Maidan, Kolkata, West Bengal 700071
Location: 10 mins walk from Rabindra Sadan Metro Station
Timings: Open in the full day, prayers will perform on Saturday and Sunday
7. Mullick Ghat- Flower Market (Tourists place): If you are a fan of flowers, then this is the right place to visits in Kolkata. Mullick Ghat- Flower Market, the 125 years old, is known for its different kinds of flowers that put on the statues. This is an unorganized flower market where buyers came from different parts of the capital to buy and resale or to use it for their personal use on a grand occasion. It is the largest wholesale flower market in east India. All kinds of flowers especially Marigold are found here.
Address: Mullick Ghat, Kolkata
Location: The market is seen in Strand Road, below Howrah Bridge
Timings: Whole day starting from sunrise
8. Nakhuda Masjid (Religious place): The topmost and important mosque to the Muslim community of the Kolkata. This mosque is situated near Bada Bazar area, the densely populated and the business hub of Kolkata. It was built by Abdur Rahim Osman who was a shipping prince in 1926. The mosque name Nakhuda was given by them which means a mariner and it was an imitation of the mausoleum of Mughal Emperor Fouzaan at Sikandra, Agra. Mariner Osman funded its total cost which was around Rs. 1,500,000 at that time. During the days of Ramazan, the whole area beside the mosque is full of stalls that sells eating kinds of stuff and things that are related to break their fasts. A complete 30 days shopping stalls are organized in the same location that is really a thing to must-watch if you visit it during the month of Ramazan.
Address: Nakhuda Masjid, Zakariya Street, Rabindra Sarani.
Location: Besides Bara Bazar
Timings: Opens 24X7, the crowd really seen at the time of 5 days Namaz (prayers)
9. Science City (Tourists place): Science City is the Science center of Kolkata where one can see stuff that is related to Science. Here you can see Housing a Space Odyssey, Dynamotion, Evolution Park Theme Tour, Maritime Centre, and Earth Exploration Hall. It is located outside the city as it had occupied a lot of space and it is the largest Science center throughout India. In order to explore it fully, you have to give your whole one day as it had a lot of things to check it out that will surely consume your time.
Address: J.B.S Haldane Avenue, Kolkata
Location: Near ITC Sonar Bangla Hotel, Topsia, and Tangra area
Timings: Daily from 9 am to 8 pm
Entry Fees: There is an entry fee, multiple fees also
10. Nicco Park (Tourists place): The newly inaugurated exhilarating amusement park is Nicco Park. This park is built in the area of Rajarhat/ New Town/Salt Lake. This is the own kind of park where all recreational activities for an individual or for families are found. There are rides, restaurants, water theme park and much more. Like Science City, you have to take time to explore it fully. It is located out of the city, so you have to make proper arrangements for your return before going there.
Address: Jheel Meel, Sector IV, Salt Lake City, Kolkata
Location: Near Nalban, Sector 5 Bus Stand, Karunamayee
Timings: From 10:30 am to 7:30 pm
Entry Fee: Its Depends, normally Rs 200 to 650/-
The above list is the 10 places to visits in Kolkata that one should plan to visits in Kolkata while on their trip to the City of Procession- Kolkata. One should keep in mind that there are some more beautiful places in Kolkata that should be mentioned, but here only ten places are targeted and described. This doesn’t mean that the places which are not mentioned are not so good or not discoverable, they are. After the removal of Article 370 from Jammu and Kashmir recently, a large number of tourists willing to move towards plains of India as the situation is very tensed there.
In a nutshell, Kolkata is a heritage city and one must visit it in their life. The city will give you something that you won’t find anywhere in India and in the world. You will love to tastes the mouthwatering tastes of Biryani and of course the street side Puchchkas. Every year Kolkata witnessed a grand celebration of Durga Puja. The whole city is in a different mood at the time of Pujo (Durga Puja 2019). One will also remember the great taste of Bengal fish in a Bengali cooking style especially the delicious Hilsa fish.
So what are you waiting for, pack your bags and go and explore a new horizon. Don’t forget to ask a simple question to every Bengali “ Kemon achen” and you will see a smiling face with lots of courtesy words.
Social media shrink the distance gap where one can sit in is room in Paris will message or call to their dear one in a remote village in India. The distance is no more a distance in the age of social media.
Memoir of every Indian… EDUCATION, ART & CULTURE, NATION, LIFESTYLE, POLITICS, TRAVEL, POEMS, TECHNOLOGY, JOBS, GALLERY, VIDEOS
Memoir of every Indian… EDUCATION, ART & CULTURE, NATION, LIFESTYLE, POLITICS, TRAVEL, POEMS, TECHNOLOGY, JOBS, GALLERY, VIDEOS
The city will give you something that you won’t find anywhere in India and in the world. You will love to tastes the mouthwatering tastes of Biryani and of course the street side Puchchkas. Every year Kolkata witnessed a grand celebration of Durga Puja.
EDUCATION, ART & CULTURE, NATION, LIFESTYLE, POLITICS, TRAVEL, POEMS, TECHNOLOGY, JOBS, GALLERY, VIDEOS: It is highly advisable to travel Haridwar by train as it is safe and have at least proper fooding arrangements. There are a lots of buses that operates from Old Delhi to Haridwar.
It is advisable that don’t search this app in Play Store as there are a lots of its fake version are still available on its platform.
Here is the list of 5 palaces that has best weather in summer season. These are the places where you not only enjoy the nature but can refresh yourself from a long work load.
Some parts of Karnataka, two third portion of states like Tamil Nadu and most parts of the northeast of India have seen monsoon so far this year. According to Met, it will take a week to reach other parts of India.
According to News Agency Ani, a man hailing from Muzaffarpur of Bihar shows his true love for the Prime Minsiter and paint himself with his colorful tattoo on his body. Not only that, he also carry his kettle full of tea and serve those who came and ask him about his love.
This is how most of the people have skin infection and other such problem. They don’t know that their actual beauty is always depended on make-up.
A quick view of the Tik Tok app future in India. This video shows how this app earn fame by controversies.
A gym trainer who became famous in Tik Tok App by 5, 00, 000 followers as per the information given by his friend has been shot dead.
When it enter it first effect the Vishakhapatnam on Thursday (02 May) at 12:00 pm. According to the information given by the weather forecast, it would go to Kolkata on Saturday (04 May) 6:00PM, But suddenly it speed get slowed down and its move towards another direction.
The publishers of this video write a caption with this video that says, “An ape figuring out how to use a smartphone is the beginning of the end for us idiots”
In the Holy month of Ramzan, Muslims performed one month roza or fast. They didn’t even drink a single drop of water throughout the day or 12 hours a day.
Come and feel the Nature with these photos
Tamil Nadu HSC results 2019: Check out here the Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) Class 12 examinations results from the Board official websites.
If you desire to work in teaching English in abroad. This is the perfect time and good opportunity to go ahead.
UP Board Class 12, Class 10 Results 2019 to be announced in the month of April. Results will be publsihed at upresults.nic.in, upmsp.edu.in
What is an Education and what is it role in the life of every individual. Here is the short introduction about it.
Hacking is a very dangerous way where one can steal all your info and data and may costs you dearly. So to get some knowledge of it, read it.
Singapore…… Go to Singapore without paying a single money to anyone. Here is quick guide to show you the way to go there.
This is the basic guideline for those who are seeking jobs in Singapore. The most trusted and free off cost way to enter in Singapore for jobs.
Home Science is basically a Science which deals in all types of managemnet. Its impact is more on ones life. Let’s discuss in dept.
A brief note aboit both the Houses of India. It is explained in a simple way that what the both of them mean to us. Let’s have a look into it.
A poem for everyone. Encouragement doesn’t ask any age. This is for every one. Read and inspire.
A short and effective video to learn how to do blogging. The basic steps are shown and well illustrated one.
NOTA…. the term widely searchable in every election. Here is a capsule pack knowledge about Nota.
The motivational video for those who struggle in English. For those who won’t speak, read and write English, this is the best video to get inspire.
The all new PUBG Game is in danger in India. Many cities in India has ban this online game.
Poland is the best place to study in Central Europe. Here is the short description to settle in Poland.
This is the short video of Toy Train. Watch it and enjoy.
Gangtok, the place where one can lost. Take a look this video and recharge yourself .
A video which shows the how to get the refund from online food delivery company Uberetas.
© 2020 Indian Memoir. All Rights Reserved